A Woman's Seder

 A Woman's Seder                                                                      

Our family held a seder last night and, in preparation, my husband, Barry, found a copy of the San Diego Women's Haggadah which I and five other women had written in 1980. After the first meeting with these women, I had gone home and felt inspired to write the following poem which was included in our finished product

A Woman's Seder
"It starts a week before,
Each drawer, each shelf, is stripped and scrubbed,
A rite performed each spring since Pharaoh forced
The chosen ones to flee before their bread could rise.
I wash a dish, streaked black from last years news
and filled with years of family seders;
And think of Miriam,
Our journey to the promised land.
Did she lament the flat and tasteless bread
She served her men?
Or did she know that we would share her deed
Each spring as we recall her exodus from bondage,
That has still to be complete?
As smells of spring and chicken soup mix pleasingly,
I peel an apple, chop the nuts, and sip the wine,
Remembering the bricks that stood between
Each ghetto girl and study of Torah.
The shank-bone roasts and fills the air
Within my modern home
With smells of sacrifice that women made
So that there would be seders every year.
I fill a dish with bitter herbs,
But feel no bitterness,
Because I know that each small task inks me
With every Hebrew Woman who prepared
a seder meal since G-d proclaimed that Jews
Should celebrate their freedom every year.